39. Not having a good command of English can be a serious _____ preventing you from achieving your goals.
A. obstacle B. fault C. offense D. distress
40. Knowledge and learning are important if we want to be successful, but they may also _______ our thinking.
A. direct B. limit C. change D. improve
41. We should not ________environmental protections to foster economic growth.
A. reduce B. sacrifice C. give D. realize
42. Attitudes to mental illness have ________in recent years.
A. displayed B. shown C. demonstrated D. shifted
43. Relief workers were _______to tears by what they saw.
A. moved B. called C. worried D. surprised
44. Smoking will be _______in all public places here.
A. banned B. allowed C. promoted D. permitted
45. You don’t object ______my calling you by your first name, do you?
A. in B. of C. on D. to